Friday, January 13, 2012

End of the Week Technique #15 - Punch Art / Lucky vs Ladybugra

Pin It
Hey y'all. It's Friday! It's a 3-day weekend! Woo-Hoo! Are you excited? I am. Not only do I get to go to a Valentine's StampCamp tomorrow, but I get an extra day off to design for my upcoming stampcamp next weekend and I get paid for 8 hours to do it. What's not to love? I hope you've got a great weekend planned too!

I can hardly believe I'm on EWT #15. WOW! I have to say, I was worried at the beginning of the week about what I was going to do for this week. After scouring the internet and posting boards I had an idea. Then I changed my idea because I found a different idea that I liked. Then I changed it again, because I wanted to be able to do it at my stampcamp and it wasn't going to be the easiest for almost all new stampers to do. Are you staying with me? So, come yesterday afternoon and I'm up to idea #3 and it's gonna be good. Not too hard, but something I had only done once before at a stampcamp, had never put on here and had never used the tools I've had at home for nearly 2 years. (Gee, that makes me sad to say!) FYI- this post is a little long :)

Then I found out that I had stampin at the firehouse and I realized that I needed a card to go with the gift I was taking for my leader supreme, the one and only, Goddess Robin Merriman (a late Christmas gift). No pressure there! Ok, so I have 1 1/2 hours to come up with a card, take a shower, straighten my naturally curly hair, get out the door and grab cash and dinner on the way. Seriously, No Pressure!

Did you ever want to make a card for someone and really just want it to be AMAZING! I mean, of course we always want our recipients to like our cards, but there are some people that you really just want to see that genuine smile on their face when they say they really like it, especially when it comes from someone who makes such Amazing cards. You know me and football right? Well, it would be like throwing a pass to Brady, or Romo, or Tebow and having them say "Great Pass!" That's how I felt about making my card last night.

I had been toying with the idea of punch art for a while. Michelle Suit is one of my fellow team members and she is like the QUEEN of punch art animals. They are so Unbelievable! Check her out HERE, but after you finish here, kay? I knew this was in no way going to be Michelle Suit worthy but I had hopes that it would be a good jumping off point and if it just made Robin smile, well SCORE!

I don't have a lot of punches, but I have a 1 3/4 circle & a 1 1/4 circle punch and I had an idea that I might be able to make a lady-bug with them. A million years ago (ok, maybe 6 or so) when Robin did my very first workshop she made me a ladybug card with the Pick-a-Petal stamp set and I always loved that set and card, so I set about trying to make my own sweet little lady-bug. Ever have something that seems like it's going just too easy? Uh-huh! Great! Decision made. A Lady-Bug it would be and her name would be Lucky because I'm from the South and we consider lady-bugs to be very "lucky". You never kill a lady-bug. If you find one in your house you just smile and gladly share you're house with it for as long as it wants to co-habitate with you. That's just how it is.

Basic premise is really easy. I took a  1 3/4 circle in Basic Black and another one in Real Red. I lightly scored the Real Red one and cut it down the center these are my wings. I punched the 1 1 /4 circle for the head and cut it just short of 1/2. I actually cut it at 1/2 first but I thought it looked a little big so I trimmed it down a little.(Ha! I should worry about a "little" big) Then I got out my White Craft Ink Pad and a pencil with a fresh eraser and made "spots" on her wings. Now, I know that lady-bug spots are really black, but every once in a while you'll get a white spot thrown in there, so I just used a little artistic license. You could totally make yours all black. I also used the White Craft Ink to make her eyes and left this to dry while I ran upstairs to take my shower and blow my hair out.

Never one to not multi-task I was thinking of ways to add a little punch-art flower to my card for my lady-bug to visit. I was thinking of turning my Scalloped Circle Punch into a daisy. That might work, I thought. I could use some Daffodil Delight DSP for the center. I didn't have a punch small enough, but maybe I could just cut it out? Hmmmm? My card was going to be a 4 1/4 square, I wasn't quite sure about the exact dimensions but I knew the proportions were going to be sooooo off. Artistic license is one thing, but I was starting to have doubts...... I had flashbacks to my child-hood....comeback with me won't you?

I don't know about you, but I was an only child in a neighborhood that didn't have lots of kids my age. Once cable was invented and came to our area, my lonely after-school afternoons were filled with worlds I never knew existed. (No, cable has not always been around! Neither has 24 hour T.V. I remember a time when stations played the National Anthem and signed off at midnight, strange for some of you to imagine I'm sure)

I remember coming home and watching Andy Griffith and Leave it to Beaver and the Brady Bunch, but those were ours. The cool stuff was Godzilla and Mothra and Goldar! Do you remember Goldar?


They were soooo cool. So, I am getting ready and imagining my sweet little lady-bug being all Gi-mongus in comparison to my flower and being like Godzilla or Mothra. Oh Noes! Instead of Lucky the Lady-Bug she would be Lady-Bugra! Cue screams *tee-hee-hee* So you see where my mind was going right? Ok. Hair done, I race downstairs with like 10 minutes to figure out a flower, finish my card take pictures for this and get out of the house and I'm thinking Lucky can't really be that big can she?

She was BIGGER!

It was like she was on Grow-Max-Plus! There was no way I was getting a flower on that card. After a little tweaking, I came up with a card I was happy to put with my gift and to get on the road. So, after all that build-up are you ready to see Lucky?


I Tombowed Pool Party onto my card base for my sky. To finish Lucky I Tombowed all her parts so they'd stay in place. I used my Basic Black Stampin Write Marker to add a little dimension to her eyes although it's hard to see in the picture. I popped her up with 3 dimensionals and then using my Basic Black Stampin Write Marker again free-handed some lines behind her to give the idea of motion.

Not where I originally planned on taking Lucky but she still makes me smile. My recommendation is to do this with smaller punches and then there will definitely be room for a flower and once I get those punches we'll give Lucky another try.

Here's the inside-


Just a simple Thank You in Basic Black Classic ink and it was done.

You know what? I think Robin really liked it! She had a big smile on her face when she saw it and laughed when I told her about the Lady-Bugra dilemma.

At the end of the day it's about trying, about stepping outside of your box. Not only is that what my EWT's are about, but that's what this whole blog is about. Robin has know me and all of my "stampin eccentricities" for years and she would have never said anything but "Thank You" and maybe a "It's beautiful" no matter what I had presented her with but the smile she gave me made  all the "What if's" so totally worth it!

I hope this weeks EWT has inspired you to try something new. Remember, it doesn't have to be the best the world's ever seen. That's something I struggle to remind myself on a nearly daily basis. You know we don't come into this world running, or even walking. Everything starts out just to leads up to baby steps. Michelangelo didn't start with David or the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, Da Vinci didn't start with the Mona Lisa. Heck, I'm sure even Michelle Suit didn't start off making her Fabulous Farm and Zoo of critters just right. Just try something new. If it doesn't work out, it's ok, no-one has to know (unless you put it on the web like me for everyone to see (:  )  and there's always the next time to build on that experience.

If you liked today's card, I would love it if you left me a comment. It's great when I get to hear from you! Also, if you liked today's card, please feel free to +1 or Pin it. I've added the buttons to my side-bar for your convenience. Friends and Followers are also welcome. :)

Well, that's all I have for today. I hope you have a great rest of your day. More than that I hope you have a fabulous and a safe holiday weekend with plenty of time for family, friends and of course for designing and crafting.

Till next time-

Be Safe,
Shan Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to share a little love with me. I hope you find this blog to be as much of a blessing to you as you are to me. :) Be Safe- Shan