Thursday, July 19, 2012

End of the Week Technique #41 - Sanding Embossed Cardstock

Pin It
Hey y'all. Happy Thursday! It's another scorcher here in the DMV. We're expecting severe thunderstorms with a chance of hail this afternoon. Oh JOY!!! Not. :( For my friends at convention, I hope you're having an Awesome time. I'm missing being there with you! Even more so now that part of the money that was going to be spent for convention, went to brand new brakes for the thieves that stole my car. Yeah, I'm a little bitter still, but it's only been a few days, so I'm sure it will pass soon.

I told you earlier this week about my friend Michelle, over at Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust (dontcha just love that name?), asking me to make some 6x6 recipe cards for a cookie swap she was doing at convention. BTW- she's also a featured presenter this year and has made lots of fabulous things including a tiered chocolate cake with flowers that absolutely looks real. Make sure you check it out, but after you're done here, kay? Kay! Any-who she knew my circumstances had changed and I wasn't going to be able to go this year and she asked if I wanted to be included in her swap. What was I going to say? Duh!!!! I said YES! And then of course I started obsessing. Go figure, right? Me Obsessing? "Whatchoo talking about Willis?" What was I going to make? Both cookie and swap wise? How was I going to design my swap. So many options, so little time. I had never done a 6x6 swap before so I was a little nervous. What made me the most  nervous though was designing something that Michelle would be proud to hand out to the other ladies in her swap. I definitely didn't want to disappoint her or them. Oh Lawdy, what had I gotten myself into. Oh and did I tell you I started last Friday night? Yep, a last minute kinda thing. Luckily my Boyfriend in Brown (BiB) had just dropped off a big huge box of goodies the day before, including lots from the new Holiday Mini! I gotta started playing around with design elements and had a bunch of fun. I'm only going to show the part of my swap that has today's EWT, because I'll show everything tomorrow on MDS Friday.

Here's my Sanded Embossed Element-


This uses three new items that will be available in our new Holiday Mini in just 12 more days. You're going to love them! Don't you just love the embossed pattern. It's from an all new Embossing Folder. The cardstock is also new. It's one of our new papers made expressly for embossing and sanding. It comes in three colors each 12x12. This one's in Early Espresso but it also comes in Cherry Cobbler and Gumball Green. Perfect for your Holiday projects. If you look closely at the top of the c/s you'll notice a section with no embossing. Even though our new embossing folders are a little bit bigger than the old ones, this piece of c/s wouldn't fit all the way in. So, I decided I would just flip it around and put the other edge in. Of course I didn't want to flatten or emboss over the part that was already done, so I carefully placed the folder up to the edge of the previously embossed area and ran it through my Big Shot again. It left me with a small section about a 1/4" that was un-embossed. Truthfully, I figured it added even more character to the piece.

Here's what you'll need for today's Technique-
Cardstock of your choice (our new collection has a lighter core so the embossing really pops), embossing folder of your choice, Big Shot or other embosser, and a sanding block.

1- Choose your c/s and E.F. Emboss your c/s of choice with your chosen E.F. and get ready for the fun to begin.



2-Get your sanding block. I used our new one. You'll be able to purchase it August 1st. I really like it. It has velcro on one of the wide sections (top or bottom) and on one of the narrow sides. It fits really nice in the hand too. So comfortable and easy to use. You get 3 sanding pads with your block and they simply stick to it. You use the wider section for larger areas and the smaller section for smaller or more detailed sections. The best part is when you've used up all the grit on your paper, you just throw that piece away and attach a new piece. Economical and Eco-friendly too. *Score*  Oh and you cab buy refill pads too and the price for both is amazing! I had a picture for you but I realized at the last minute I couldn't show it because you can see part of the block.

3- Using your sanding block you lightly stroke over the top of your embossed c/s. As you do, your design will become more pronounced. You decide how much or how little you want your design to show simply by adjusting how much you sand. How simple is that?



As you can see there are some areas where the color/outer layer of c/s has been sanded away completely and others where it barely shows any change in color. Continue sanding until your c/s appears the way you would like. After sanding you can use our new tacky cloth to wipe off the dust. This is especially important if you are going to want to adhere anything to the areas you have sanded. I omitted this step because I was only adhering the bottom to another piece of c/s.

*Tip*- Make sure to do your sanding over your grid paper or other paper for two reasons. 1- You wouldn't want to accidentally "sand" your table. 2- There will be a lot of paper "dust" after you've sanded your c/s. A large piece of paper like our grid paper makes it easy to catch all of that and transfer it to the trash.

4- Use your design element however you would like to with your project. Here's another look at mine after the sanding and before I attached it to my project-


5- As always, smile at the amazing project you've completed and smile even more when you think of the joy it will bring it's recipient!

That's all I have for you today. I hope you liked today's technique. I know I had so much fun as I was doing it and seeing a totally new design element appearing before my eyes. No two will ever be just alike. How cool is that!?! Soooo Cool!!! I hope today's technique inspires you to create something special of your own with it soon. If you liked today's technique and project (partial as it is) I hope you'll take just a moment to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you and read all comments. Friends and Followers are always welcome too! :)

Don't forget to come back tomorrow to see the rest of the project. It's my very first Hybrid project and I'm so excited to be sharing it with you!

Thanks for taking time out of your busy day to stop by my little corner of the world. You are so appreciated! Till next time-

Remember- Life is often more about the storms than the peace they seek to overwhelm. It's not about Waiting for the storm to pass, but Learning to Dance in the rain.

Be Safe,
Shan Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to share a little love with me. I hope you find this blog to be as much of a blessing to you as you are to me. :) Be Safe- Shan