Monday, July 23, 2012

My First Hybrid MDS Project:) / 6 x 6 Recipe Card

Pin It
Hey y'all. Happy Monday! I hope you  had a great weekend. Sorry I didn't get to post this last Friday, like I had planned to, but my day was just nonstop! 

I had to take the day off so I could get all the paperwork related to my car theft done. Here's a few *Tips* for you- 1- Don't keep the only copy of your registration in your glove compartment. It has important info on it like your missing vehicles VIN#. You will need that to fill out all of your paperwork. 2- If you keep it in your glove compartment like most of us do, you know in case you get pulled over or anything fun like that, lock your glove compartment. That way if they steal your car from somehwere other than in front of your house, they won't have all your pertinent information. 3- Make sure you have a list of all your cars features, right down to engine size, this is different than the # of cylinders fyi. 4- Of course, don't have anything important in there that you would really miss. 5- Have some industrial strength cleaner and lots of rags/towels because if you get your car back it's likely to be filthy from a) the rude people who stole it and b) from the fingerprint powder and magnetic shavings the crime scene technician will use to attempt to get prints with. 6- Know the location of your nearest Notary Public, as you will almost certainly need one to notarize the paperwork for your insurance company.Of the six tips, the only ones I had going for me were 4 & 6. :(    So, I took the day off Friday to get all the required info and spent a large portion of it, 3+ hours, going back and forth between the bank and car dealership to get this taken care of. You know what happened next right?Yep, my car was recovered on Saturday afternoon. The good news is there doesn't appear to be any damage. They drove it till it ran out of gas. The bad news is they would appear to have my lost spare key, which means I now have to get it re-keyed at an unknown out of pocket expense since insurance doesn't pay for this. >:( Until that time, they are free to come back and start all over again. I am tempted to leave it out of gas. Lol! No, seriously!!!

Ok, on to happier thoughts. Like my first ever hybrid MDS Project. Can I just tell you how stinking excited I was about this!?! If you read my post last Thursday, you know I was invited by my friend, the very talented Michelle over at Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust to join a 6x6 Recipe swap for convention. I of course said YES!!! Then I had to figure out what I was going to make for both the card and the recipe. Oh Lawdy! What had I gotten myself into? I had never done any type of Scrapbooking style swap before, let alone a recipe swap. You know me....It had to be something special if I was going to give it to Michelle to swap at convention. Didn't want to let her down.

I finally settled on a recipe and a page design. I had it all figured out, in my mind, and it was going to be Spectacular. Then I went home, started to put everything together for the sample and quickly found out it wasn't going to work. Yep, with just 2 days allotted to make 11 + samples, I had to go back to the drawing board. It seems my recipe wouldn't condense down to the size I needed it for the design element I wanted to use. Well, I guess it could have, but anyone reading it would have needed magnifying glasses, which is not something you want to have to use while baking. :) As luck would have it, I had just received a shipment of all new product from the upcoming Holiday Mini, just the day before, so I had new product to play with as I figured it out. In the end, I think it turned out even better than I had imagined.

Here's my (first ever) 6x6 Recipe Swap-

6x6 Recipe Swap
I used the all new Core'dinations paper in Early Espresso as well as a new Embossing Folder and the new Naturals Wooden Buttons.
I used a base of Very Vanilla c/s and then used Cherry Cobbler c/s and the new Core'dinations paper for the accents. The new button is tied on with Cherry Cobbler Bakers Twine that is wrapped around 3 times and secured. I also used a Mini-Glue Dot to help keep the button's weight from pulling down the Bakers Twine.

6x6 Recipe Swap Card

As you can see My recipe "card" uses Cherry Cobbler c/s as the base and Very Vanilla c/s for the focal point. I used my MDS to color the text, and for the font choice, as well as to add the ornaments to the background. These two ornaments are part of the Basic MDS Package. How nice that you're set up for just about anything right out of the box? The colors even matched. How sweet is that!?! I bet once the new program comes out you'll be able to make the ornaments any color you want. MDS 2 is coming August 1st. Just 8 more days. Are you ready? I know I am. :) Any-who, I just sized the ornaments to the size I wanted for my card, centered them, lightened the opacity and sent them to the background. Really, super easy. No, really. Trust me. The hardest part was getting the recipe and ingredients to a size that was legible.

Here's a close-up-


Why, yes...that does say Red Velvet Cheesecake Cookies. And, because we're such good friends, you and I,  here's the link to the recipe, just for you! You knew we were friends for a reason, didn't you? They're stuffed with cheesecake filling. YUM!!!

Here's the other side-


See what I meant about getting the recipe to fit legibly? Don't you love me even more now that I've given you the link and you don't have to try and read the instructions from the picture. So follow me already as thanks for the love I just gave you. LOL :) No really, a few follows will increase the likelihood of more nommy recipes in the future. :)

Here's the finished product the next day-


Yea! I was so excited to have them all done. You know what was even more exciting? My friend Michelle's reaction when she saw them. SO totally worth all the stressing over these that I did.

For those of you that would like measurements, I accidentally threw away the sheet that had the measurements but I will give you a jumping off point and get the measurements for you when I'm at home.

Very Vanilla base 6x6, Cherry Cobbler 6x6 cut in half (diagonally) for the pocket, Early Espresso Core'dinations 5 3/4x5 3/4 cut in half (diagonally). For recipe card- Cherry Cobbler 5 3/4x5 3/4, Very Vanilla c/s cut do fit your recipe's needs. Mine are different sizes on both sides of the card. I also used SNAIL on the back of my Early Espresso piece to help secure the Bakers Twine in place since it was layered on an angle. All other aspects of the card are Tombowed to ensure they stay put for a long time to come.

That's all I have for you today. I hope you are as excited as I am by these. I really hope they inspire you to not only try something new, but to really put yourself out there and do something that makes you just a little nervous (safely though, for you my dare-devil readers) Card-Stock is good enough for me. If you liked today's project and have just a minute to drop me a line, you would totally make my day. I love hearing from you and read all of my comments. If you liked it and would like to +1 or Pin it, the buttons are on my blog for your convenience. Friends and Followers are always welcome too! :)

Thanks so much for taking time out of your busy day to stop by my little corner of the world. You are so appreciated! I hope you'll come back soon and see the fun cards/projects I've been working on for you. Till next time-

Remember- Life is often more about the storms than the peace they seek to overwhelm. It's not about Waiting for the storms to pass, but Learning to Dance in the rain.

Be Safe,
Shan

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to share a little love with me. I hope you find this blog to be as much of a blessing to you as you are to me. :) Be Safe- Shan