Monday, October 10, 2011

Purple Passion - Hope in the fight against Domestic Violence

Pin It
Hey everyone- Hope you had a safe holiday weekend and enjoyed an extra day off with loved ones. I got to sleep in and then got up and spent some quality time stamping. Of course with a test coming up on Wednesday night I should have been studying, in fact I said I would as soon as I made this one card but somehow, one card turned into three and then I started on my team swaps and then my afternoon was gone! Time somehow just flies when your doing something you love.SMH!

Today's card is very special to me. It came together quickly and I think it's very beautiful. It's also full of meaning and every time I look at it, it makes me smile. I hope it will make you smile, but more than that, I hope it will inspire you to make a change.

As just about everyone nowadays knows, October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. In fact, the stamp set, I used today was designed by Stampin' Up in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness and a portion of the sales from each set was donated to that cause. Now don't get me wrong, I think it's a great cause, in fact, my aunt is a survivor of Breast Cancer and most of us know someone that has been affected by this horrible disease. However, how many of you know that October is also Domestic Violence Awareness Month? I would be willing to bet that outside of the people that know me and are forced to hear me drone on about it every October, not many. The President lights the White House pink, the NFL wears pink, everyone wears pink and raises money and awareness for the pink but how many wear purple or raise money and awareness for the purple and Domestic Violence Awareness? Sadly, very few.

Domestic Violence is a Silent Epidemic, a stain on not only our great nation, but in fact our world. It survives, thrives, and destroys lives and families through the ignorance, fear, and silence of its victims and those who could save them. Remember, Abuse can be Physical, Mental, Emotional, Verbal, Monetary. Please if you know or suspect someone is being is abused, let them know you care, offer to help get them in contact with someone who can help. Often just knowing someone is on their side will mean more than you know. Just please, don't ignore the signs. Like a cancerous lump, Domestic Violence will not get better, it will only get worse, and if left unchecked it often ends in death. Remember Love Does Not Hurt.

 Now,I will get off my soap box and show you today's card-





I used a base of Wisteria Wonder. My second layer is Concord Crush and Wisteria Wonder that I popped up on Dimensionals. Sorry, the lighting is not showing the colors better. I stamped the swirl with the heart and the words at the bottom in Wisteria Wonder. The words say- Courage, Hope, Believe, Unity, Survivor, Caring, Together, Love, Kindness, Support, Strength, Blessed, Thank You. I  stamped the H/Hope in Concord Crush. I used my Stamp-a-ma-jig  so it would be aligned just right. I then went back with my Two-Way Glue pen and Dazzling Diamonds Glitter to add a little shimmer to the top.

For the butterfly, I stamped it three times. The first time, I stamped it in Wisteria Wonder in the middle of the card. The second time I stamped it in Concord Crush on Wisteria Wonder cardstock. The third time, I stamped it in Concord Crush on Whisper White. I crumpled up both butterflies and then cut them out and using my bone folder curved the wings a little giving them some lift. You can see it in the picture.

For those of you that are new to my blog, I HATE distressing stuff! It distresses me! So crumpling up paper is very hard for me to do, in fact, I rarely do it. But for my butterflies, I did it, because it signifies that even though they may have been battered in some form they have survived and are still soaring and are still beautiful. I used my Two-Way Glue pen and Dazzling Diamonds Glitter to add Glitter all over the top butterfly because after all, she's beautiful. I then topped her off with a row of rhinestones because after all, you can never be too beautiful or have too much Bling! I stuck both butterflies together with Glue Dots and then adhered them to the card with Glue Dots.

And because I try to do a little something for the inside here's a pic.

Initially it was just the cardstock base but I tried stamping the butterfly over the swirl and it didn't look as good as I had hoped.
TIP- Once your card is all but finished try a sample stamp on your grid paper first! :-)
I took Whisper White Cardstock and  layered it on the inside of my card (to cover my oops), inked up my stamp with Concord Crush and then stamped off once to decrease the intensity just a little and then stamped it in the lower corner.

Well, I thank you for stopping by today and looking at my blog and hopefully for reading my rant about Domestic Violence. I love how my card turned out and I hope you do to. Every time I see it, it reminds me of where I've been and where I will never again go, and of the difference I can make in others lives.

I hope you make a difference in someones life too.

If you liked today's card, I would love it if you left me a comment. It's great when I get to hear from you! Also, if you liked today's card, please feel free to +1 or Pin it. I've added the buttons to my side-bar for your convenience. Friends and Followers are also welcome. :)

If my card made you smile and you would like to make some cards too, remember you can shop in my online store, HERE, 24 hours a day.

Hope to see you later this week.

Be Safe,
Shan Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to share a little love with me. I hope you find this blog to be as much of a blessing to you as you are to me. :) Be Safe- Shan