Friday, September 21, 2012

Postage Due / End of the Week Technique #48 / Telescoping Card

Pin It
Hey y'all. Happy Friday! I know I'm posting a little late today and I'm sorry about that. You know how you take a day off and you think you're going to do a few things and get some rest and then you're so busy you're more tired and more behind than if you'd been at work. Yeah, it was that kind of day. But it was still a good day so it's hard to complain. For those of you that follow me regularly (of course I wish that was all of you) I went to see the orthopedist about my painful arches yesterday. It's severe Plantar Fascitis. There was some question about whether or not there might even be some tears. However since my insurance deductible is so high I wasn't willing to do any imaging at the present time. We're trying one more round of oral steroids and I'm in a walking boot for the next 3-4 weeks. Yes I said boot, and it's not even a cute riding boot or over-the-knee kind. Augh! The worst part is I need them for both feet. I've got to see if I can find the old one from when I fractured my ankle and then I can really look cool! Until then, I'm using it mostly on the one that hurts the most and can alternate feet as tolerated. :(

I made today's card earlier this week for a friend of mine. (Hey Bren!) She's a reservist in the Army and had was going to go remote to Washington state for 6 months. Booooooo! So we were having dinner on Tuesday night, so we could spend a little time together before that happened. She is just getting started with stamping and I love seeing her joy when she tries a new technique or when she sees something she likes and gets excited about maybe making something like that. So, I made her this card as a going away card. Wanna know something Amazing. She's not getting called up for 6 months it's being extended to 9 months! I know you're probably thinking I'm a little weirder than usual for thinking that's Amazing. The Amazing part is that she's not going to Washington, she's been reassigned here. That's right! She's not leaving. Woo-Hoo!!!! *HappyDance* Know what that means? We get to spend more time together stamping! :) My going away card turned into a staying here card. Dinner, Good News & she Loved her card...it was a really good evening!

Here's today's card-



Card featuring
Telescoping Technique & Postage Due Stamp Set
I was so excited to finally get to use this stamp set. It's just so pretty and was one of my favorites right from the start. I love the look of collaged cards but have no faith in my ability to produce them. Sad, but true. This set already has the collage done for me so I knew I couldn't go wrong. I used my Stampin Write Markers to color directly on the stamp to get all the pretty colors. So Saffron was used as a base because yellow is my friend's favorite color. I decided to try the Telescoping Technique because it gives such a cool effect. Here's a closer look at the focal point-




This is actually a fairly easy technique and it's one I will try again. I do think though, that when I do it next I will choose a background that isn't so specific like a smaller all-over background, maybe a floral. Here's why I say that. You know I'm just a little OCD right? Right, who doesn't by now. :) Well, because it's difficult to make sure that your framelets are in the "exact"same position on both images it's hard to ensure that multiple separate images will line up precisely even. I know most people would never notice this but the framelets aren't even spaced all around. The top one is situated a little to the top and the one beneath that is situated a little to the bottom. I had to do that to try and get all of the images to line up and still the postage stamp is not lined up just right with the bottom one. Did you notice any of that? Most likely not, but I did and it 's something I'm going to have to work on to see if I can figure out a way to make it a little more precise. I know I shouldn't be so picky, trust me it's not fun sometimes. The good news is my friend liked it and didn't notice and to be honest, if someone had given me this card, it wouldn't bother me at all, it only bothers me with my own. *SMH*

I sponged the edges of the card base and all the layers with a little Crumb Cake Classic Ink to soften it up and because it just felt like it needed to look a little older and loved, maybe like something someone found in an old trunk. The sentiment is from Petite Pairs one of my favorite sentiment sets. It's stamped in Soft Suede.

Here's a look at the inside-



I kept it pretty simple here. Ok, except for the flower. :) I carried the theme through from the front and stamped the rest of the sentiment in Soft Suede and then sponged the edges in Crumb Cake. But you know how I love my pretty insides. In order to make sure that no "ghosting" occurred when I stamped my flower I masked the heck out of the rest of the stamp prior to stamping it. It's colored in with my So Saffron Stampin Write Marker and stamped full strength. I let Tink have a little fun and it's just so striking when you see it in person.



Sometimes I hate that glitter doesn't always show up in pictures. I just outlined the flower and then skimmed my Two-Way Pen over different sections of it to get this effect.

Because I was giving this card away I went ahead and stamped the outside of the envelope too. I would really like to start doing this more often. I guess I need to just suck it up and buy more envelopes, huh?

Card and Matching Envelope featuring
Postage Due Stamp Set

For this week's Technique, here's what you'll need-
Card stock and Stamp set of your choice, Inks, a cutting system (I used the Labels Framelets and my Big Shot), Dimensional Foam (I used Stampin Dimensionals).

Here's what you do- I've embedded a video for you below. You can search for others as well.
1- Choose your image and stamp it twice. You can ink it by using one color and a pad or by inking it up with markers like I did to get all the different colors. In case you're wondering, the bike is Early Espresso, the postage mark Not Quite Navy, the #3 Wild Wasabi, the flower So Saffron and the Script is Crumb Cake.
2- Once you have your image stamped twice decide which framelet you're going to use. I used the Labels Framelets. You will also need to decide how many layers you want. I have seen it with 4 like mine and also with 3. It's absolutely up to you. Don't you love having the creative freedom to change one small thing and make something totally yours? Think of all the different design possibilities just by changing the framelets you use and/or the number of layers. WOW!!!!
3- Place your framelets where you would like them on your design. I found it easier to go ahead and place all 4 framelets. This allowed me to make sure my spacing on each image was equal and then I could take out the two I wouldn't be using. I used the 2nd to the largest framelet and the 3 next smaller ones.


4- Take out alternating framelets. Use a sticky note to hold your framelets in place and then run it through your Embossing/Cutting Machine. I used my Big Shot. This will give you a larger cut surface to work with-


5- Repeat this with your second stamped image. Now you have 4 different layers. Apply Dimensional Foam to the back of each piece and layer them onto each other until you have all of the layers adhered to one another.
6- Attach this to your card base or layer, whichever you may be using. Embellish as desired. If I were to make this particular card again, I think I would add a ribbon layer, maybe a soft seam binding under the focal point. It's really up to you how simple or elaborate you choose to make your card.


7- Smile when you look at your finished creation and smile even bigger when you think of the joy it will bring it's recipient. Love that Part!!!

Here's a video from SplitCoast Stampers that's pretty good about showing the steps for this technique-



So what do you think about this technique? I'm looking forward to trying it again maybe with a different set too. I hope you liked today's card and technique and that it inspires you to try something new today. If you make something using this technique, I'd love to see what you come up with! If you liked today's card/technique or have questions about it, I hope you'll take just a moment to leave me a message below. I read them all and they really do make my day! If you'd like to +1 or Pin today's card, I've put the buttons on my blog for your convenience. Friends and Followers are always welcome too! :)

That's all I have for you this week. My daughter's wedding is tomorrow so it's sure to be another busy day. Unfortunately, I don't thing my new boot will go well with my dress so I will likely not be wearing it for most of the day, but will be sure to come home and put my feet up as soon as possible. I'll be back on Monday with more to show you. I hope you have an Amazing weekend full of lots of time for Family, Friends, and of course Creativity!

Thanks so much for taking time out of your busy day to stop by my little corner of the world. You are very appreciated! Till next time-

Remember- Life is often more about the storms than the peace they seek to overwhelm. It's not about Waiting for the storms to pass, but Learning to Dance in the rain.

Be Safe,
Shan
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to share a little love with me. I hope you find this blog to be as much of a blessing to you as you are to me. :) Be Safe- Shan