Sunday, November 11, 2012

End of the Week Technique # 54 / Altering the Cannery Framelet

Pin It
Hey y'all. Happy Sunday! I hope you're having a great weekend and are looking forward to having a good day off tomorrow. FIrst off, I'd like to say a big Thanks!,  to all of our service Men and Women who risk their lives to keep our country safe. You are so appreciated! Today was our team holiday party and I needed to make a gift so, I made a gift and a matching card to go with it. Hope you like  it.

Here's today's card-


Holiday Card featuring Candlelight Suite DSP &
 Altered Cannery Framelet
Time got away from me today and before I knew it, I had to hurry up and make a card to go with my gift. You know I don't always work well under pressure & this card was no exception. I had a layout in mind, or at least I thought I did. I was trying to re-create a layout I had seen once on a challenge. It just wasn't coming together so I think I must have forgotten something. This is what I came up with instead.

I started with a standard base of Real Red c/s. Next came a layer of Very Vanilla with Early Espresso sponged around the edges. For my layers, here are the measurements. Two pieces of Early Espresso cut at 2 x 3. The two pieces of DSP are from the Candlelight Suite DSP and are cut at 1 3/4 x 2 3/4. Normally I would have layered the Lucky Limeade Ruffled Ribbon around the V.V. c/s but I had already Tombow'ed it down. I really thought my card was going a different way. *SMH* Since I had already adhered it I ended up wrapping it all the way around the card front and tied it in a bow so the ends would trail down and fill the open space. I wanted my card to coordinate with my gift in more ways than one so I added a little jar in the upper space and topped it with a piece of coordinating fabric from the same Candlelight Suite. Both the Jar and the fabric topper were adhered with Dimensionals.

Here's a close-up of this element-


Like I said, I was in a bit of a hurry, so after I had finished it and was leaving I remembered I wanted to make it glittery and shimmery. Oh well, I think it still looks nice. This jar was cut from Whisper White c/s and was cut out with the Cannery Framelet using the technique shown below. It was sponged with Pretty in Pink and then the edges were sponged with Early Espresso to define the edges. I used the Topper Framelet and Candlelight Suite Fabric to create a coordinating fabric topper.

*Tip* When using the Framelets to cut fabric, you will need to run it through your Big Shot multiple times. I think I ran it through, back and forth, about 5 times and still had to lightly snip a few spots. However, it really made a nice addition and was totally worth the effort.

Here's the inside-


I stamped the sentiment from Greetings of the Season in Early Espresso on Very Vanilla c/s. I feel really bad that I didn't stamp something pretty on the inside, but I just ran out of time. :(

Here's the gift I made-



It's a Sugar Scrub. I've actually seen this in a couple of place on Pinterest. I thought I had it Pinned but couldn't find it, so I went looking on the Internet, found one to try and guess what? It Worked!!!!! Woo-Hoo! This was so quick and easy you've got to try it. I'm gonna tell you how I did it and do you know what that means? You get a Two-fer. Two tutorials for the price of one. Even better once you realize that price is free! :D

Here's what you'll need-
1)A seal-able container to hold your scrub- I used a seal-able Mason jar that I got with a 40% off coupon from one of those big box stores. It wasn't expensive at all, I think it was $4.99 before the discount :) 2) Regular White Granulated Sugar 3) Dish Detergent- I used Dawn's Olay the pink one (it's says it's for softer hands). They have a Lavender one too that's a pretty light purple color. I'm a big Lavender fan but I actually liked this scent better.

Here's what you do-
1) Fill the jar about 3/4 of the way full with your sugar.
2) Add your Dish Detergent up to the neck of the jar.
3) Stir the detergent into the sugar until it's incorporated completely. You can then add more sugar as needed to get the consistency you would like. You don't want it to be too liquidy. I ended up adding an extra 1/2 cup or so.

Here's what it will look like-



*Tip* Make sure to get into the corners of your container. I thought I had everything mixed well and then noticed one of the corners was white with sugar. Glad I saw that before I gifted it! I then cut a square of fabric, frayed the edges just a little and then secured it to the jar with more of my Lucky Limeade Ruffled Ribbon.


I have to say it was well received and I have to say I got a giggle when it was given. I told my teammate to open the card because it matched and I was rewarded with a chorus of "Of course it does!" LOL!!!

For today's technique I altered my Cannery Framelet, the jar one, to make it smaller. I've seen cards where they've made the jar bigger into items like baby bottles, but I haven't seen any smaller so I decided to try. I wanted to try and make it look like the jar I used for my gift. I think I came pretty close.

Here's what you'll need for today's technique-
1) Cardstock in your choice of color- I chose Whisper White 2) Cannery Framelet 3) Big Shot

Here's what you do- It's so stinkin' simple, you're not going to believe it!-
1) Using your Cannery Framelet cut out a jar.
2) Take your Framelet and position it higher on your cut out piece until you get the size you want. Here's what it will look like-


3- Run this through your Big Shot again. Here's what you'll get-


 I love how this looks just like my jar. I then just lightly sponged this with Pretty in Pink Classic Ink to match my scrub. I sponged the edges with Early Espresso for some definition and have a totally different look from the same framelet. :) Here's another look at the finished product-


Well, that's all I have for you today. I hope you liked everything I had for you today. I hope it inspires you to try something new. Both were really simple but pack a WOW for such easy techniques. Love when that happens! If you liked today's card, project or technique or have questions about it, I hope you'll take a moment to leave me a message below. I love hearing from you and read all of your comments. They really do make my day! If you'd like to +1 or Pin today's card or project, I've put the buttons on my page for your convenience. Friends and Followers are always welcome too! :)

Thanks so much for taking time out of your busy day to stop by my little corner of the world. You are very appreciated! I hope you have a safe and enjoyable holiday tomorrow filled with plenty of time for Family, Friends and of course Creativity. If you get a chance, I hope the next time you see a Uniformed Service member, you'll tell them thanks for their time and effort. Till Next Time-

Remember- Life is often more about the storms than the peace they seek to overwhelm. It's not about Waiting for the storm to pass, but Learning to Dance in the rain.

Be Safe,
Shan Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to share a little love with me. I hope you find this blog to be as much of a blessing to you as you are to me. :) Be Safe- Shan