Saturday, September 15, 2012

Holiday Frame and Ornament Card / NAC#11

Pin It
Hey y'all. Happy Saturday! I hope you're having a great weekend. Mines been sooo busy.

Do you ever feel like there's just not enough time in the day? I've totally felt that way this week. My best guy friend Jason's in town for class and I haven't been able to spend nearly as much time with him as I'd like too. :( I spent about 7 hours today getting my daughter's wedding invites finished. (I'll show them here soon) That includes running to Kinko's to get the insides printed. I'm so glad they had a big paper cutter but it still took me forever to get them all cut out. You know my OCD was in overdrive getting those things cut just right, don't you? But they are finally done and I'm happy to say the kids love them. I'm also happy to say that I found my dress for the ceremony and got started on a new scrapbook layout yesterday and was able to get this card completed a little while ago. It's a good thing too, because I've only got a few hours left to get it posted.

Here's what I came up with-


Holiday Card featuring
Holiday Frame and Lacey Brocade Embossing Folders, Core'dinations Paper and
Keepsake Ornaments Stamp Set and Holiday Ornaments Framelets


This is definitely not my normal style card. But, isn't it nice to do something different and be happy with it? That's one reason I challenged myself to do these challenges, to step out of my comfort zone. If you've followed me for any length of time you know I'm a pretty visual person and when I see a sketch, I rarely deviate from it. It wasn't so long ago that if I didn't have the exact shapes the sketch had in it, I just wouldn't do that sketch. I'm getting better but it's still hard for me. That happened with today's card. I didn't have an oval to create the center but then I thought about this embossing folder and, it's an oval (mostly) so I figured I'd use it. Well, I did but then discovered that it took up most of the card front and I wouldn't really have room for the same middle layer that the sketch had. Ugh!!!! I haven't missed one of the Nacho's challenges yet so I was determined to make it work. These sketches are supposed to be a jumping off point, an inspiration so I kept at it and let it be my inspiration, even it's not as faithful to the sketch as I would like it to be. Luckily, I think the fab ladies over at Nacho Average Challenge will not think to badly of me....You won't will you?????

Here's the sketch-


It's another great sketch. Lots of room for interpretation and I'm gonna have to try it again with a smaller centerpiece, so I can be a little more faithful to the sketch. I did get all the elements just not like they're laid out here. I used our new Core'dinations paper to make the center layer, it's just a little bigger.  This is such cool paper. I embossed it with my Lacey Brocade E.F. and used my new sanding block to make the embossing really pop. I also used the ribbon to "hold" my ornament instead of going all the way across the card. It's the Gumball Green stitched ribbon and I secured it with a Mini-Glue Dot.

Here's a closer look-


I used my Holiday Frame E.F. to emboss a piece of Very Vanilla c/s. Next I fussy cut the whole thing out and used some Dimensionals to raise it up. You know I liked this embossing folder when I first saw it in the catalog but after I got it and used it once I was so disappointed. (Thankfully not for too long, but still) Have you used it yet? It's really very pretty. The reason I wasn't happy with it was I stamped it and then realized it wasn't symmetrical.  AUGH!!! I had only used it once and thought I wouldn't be able to use it again. I just couldn't figure out why it was so oddly uneven. Then I read someones post about it and it all made sense. It's not symmetrical because it has all sorts of different images in it. If you look real close you can see a Christmas tree at the bottom and two snowflakes to either side. It also has some ornaments and stars hidden in there too. So, luckily I kinda feel like I can use it now, but it still throws me a little.  I've only really got 2 main colors on this which is also a pretty big departure for me. I stamped the ornament with Gumball Green and just a tiny little bit of More Mustard for the top of the ornament. I then added clear embossing powder to the top and Gumball Green embossing powder to the ornament and heat embossed the whole ornament. My Ornament Framelets made it easy for me to cut it out. Love me some framelets!!! The ornament is popped up with a Dimensional too.

Here's what I came up with for the inside-

Inside of Holiday card featuring
Greetings of the Season and Keepsake Ornaments Stamp Sets
I kept it very simple, but I think it's still very striking. The ornament came out so pretty. :)


Well, that's all I have for you tonight. I hope you like it and I hope those fab ladies over a NAC do too. They really do some great challenges so make sure to check them out. I'll be back Monday with something new for you. Hope the rest of your weekend is fabulous and you stop back by real soon.

Thanks so much for taking time out of your busy weekend to stop by my little corner of the world. You are very appreciated! Till next time-

Remember- Life is often more about the storms than the peace they seek to overwhelm. It's not about Waiting for the storms to pass, but Learning to Dance in the rain.

Be Safe,
Shan


Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Love it! So clean and simple, but gorgeous!! Thanks so much for playing along each week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon, I just love what you did with the NAC sketch. Your card has that clean & elegant look. Wonderfully done. Thank you for playing along with us at NAC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the Holiday Frame and the textured background behind it. Gorgoeus!!!!
    i just ahve to cased you on My Consider It cased week.
    tfs:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share a little love with me. I hope you find this blog to be as much of a blessing to you as you are to me. :) Be Safe- Shan