Thursday, September 27, 2012

Keep Calm & Don't Let the Tears Get On The Cupcakes - Salt Is Better On Margaritas /NAC#13 / My Challenge #40

Pin It
Hey y'all. Happy Thursday to you! Just one more day until the weekend. Yea! :)

I don't know about you but it's seems like lately I've had more downs than ups and I'm ready for some good news. I hope you've had more ups than downs. I found out on Monday that my sweetie's being transferred. It could be for 1 year then back here or 3 years and then back here. Needless to say, I've been a Big, Stinkin', Hot Mess ever since. Ok, so I haven't really stunk, but I sure feel like road-kill and those stink, but anyways I'm sure you get the picture. We'll find out later today just how long the transfer will be. We're really hoping for just 1 year.


Yesterday, when I was trying to come up with a card for this week's challenge over at NAC, I started out with one idea, even cut the pieces for it, but it just wasn't coming together like I wanted. Dontcha just hate when that happens? I got up and went over to my stamp sets and found this new one and then I knew exactly what needed to be made.

Here's what I came up with-



My darlin's favorite color is blue and it just so happens that was the color combo I was looking at for the other card idea so it worked out just fine. I started with a base of Midnight Muse cut at 4 1/4 x 11 and scored at 5 1/2. My DSP layer is from the Patio Party collection. Aren't those hearts just the sweetest!?! I used one of my new edgelets to give a decorative edge to both sides. To me, it felt like the little points in the edging mirrored the  points on the hearts. Or at least that's where my silly mind led me. The tag is made from Whisper White c/s and I trimmed it without a pattern, that's just how it turned out. It's adhered with Dimensionals. My stamp was inked with Midnight Muse and Baja Breeze Stampin Write markers and believe it or not was stamped without the aid of my Stamp-A-Ma-Jig. Can you believe it? A little M.M. sponging and some M.M. In-Color ribbon finished the front. By the way if you like this ribbon, there's just a few more days to get it for free. Love, love, love free! Know what else I love? The versatility this set gives with the sentiments and I was so glad when it was available again for purchase I think this week's sketch was perfect for it.

Here's the sketch I was using-


It's another great, C&S layout from the fine ladies over at Nacho Average Challenge. Make sure you check them out. They have a new challenge each week and they are my go-to every week.

Here's the inside-


Someone, please see the humor in this.

If you know me, in real-life, you know I love to cook. What I really love to do is bake. I make some pretty fabulous desserts and now that it's fall, it's the perfect time for my Pumpkin Cupcakes with fresh Cream Cheese Icing. J loves these (I do to, in fact it seems to be a favorite of most of my friends and family) but even those wouldn't help right now. The tears would thin the icing out too much. :'(  The sweet little cupcake I put on the inside of the card  doesn't taste good, but it sure does look yummy and smells good too. I mixed Vanilla Embossing Powder in with Dazzling Diamonds and heat embossed it after a layer of Heat and Stick Powder.

Here's a tip for you- When I decided to use this set I knew I would need to use the "and" from the Keep Calm stamp on the inside as well as the out. I don't know about you, but I often think just about the front when I'm designing and then the inside seems to fall into place. With this one I had to think about the inside too. A lot of time when I go to use a single element from the front on the inside, I've already cleaned my stamp. Depending on how long it's been, since I stamped it, I often get a "ghosting" of the image or word even though when I stamp off on scraps it looks ok. To avoid that happening on this card I inked up the "and" with Baja Breeze and stamped it on the inside first while the rest of the stamp was still clean and dry. That way I got a crisp, clean image with no ghosting and when I went to stamp the front I simply inked the entire stamp and stamped . Both images turned out perfect. Hope this helps, if you find yourself with the same problem. Of course it could just me, but I always hope I'm not the only one doing things like that.

Here's a closer look at my yummy little cupcake (not Pumpkin yummy, but still tasty)-


I punched it out with one of my Circle Punches (the 1/2" one I think), and sponged it with a little Baja Breeze. It seemed like I needed just a little something extra, besides the cupcake, on the inside so there's an extra little strip of the DSP from the front. It gives a little color and I think makes it not quite so serious. My cupcake was attached with Tombow and the card was finished.

What do you think? I hope you like it and I hope those great ladies over at NAC like it too! Sure do hope I haven't brought you down with my tale of woe. Hopefully we will get some good news today. If you liked today's card or have questions about it, feel free to leave me a message below. I love hearing from you and read everything you leave. The comments really make my day. If you'd like to +1 or Pin today's card, The buttons are here on my blog for your convenience. Friends and Followers are always welcome too! :)

Thanks so much for taking time out of your busy day and stopping by my little corner of the world. You are very appreciated! Till Next Time-

Remember- life is often more about the storms than the peace they seek to overwhelm. it's not about Waiting for the storms to pass, but Learning to Dance in the rain.

Be Safe,
Shan


Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry your hubby is being transferred! Will you go with him?

    Love your card--I just got this set! Guess I'd better pull it out and play! Think it would look good with snowflakes?!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share a little love with me. I hope you find this blog to be as much of a blessing to you as you are to me. :) Be Safe- Shan