Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Early Father's Day Card- Stampin 411 SSC #255 / My Challenge #21

Pin It
Hey y'all. Happy Tuesday! It's another rainy, gloomy day here in the DMV. At least it's not cold....glass half full and all that. :) I hope it's warm and sunny wherever you are.

It's time for this week's challenge card. I actually found a couple different ones that I liked this week but decided to go with this one over at Stampin 411. You can always count on them for a great sketch. I chose it because I thought it would provide a good frame for the focal point I had in mind.

Here's today's card-

Father's Day Card, Origami Shirt, SSC #225

I'm sooo happy with how this card turned out. I'm sure, like me, you've seen these little shirts everywhere. I've seen them in this size and in a bigger one too, but I love that this one is made with a piece of 4 x 6 cardstock so you can get 6 of these cute shirts out of one piece of DSP. Woot! I used the Letters to Santa DSP for mine. This was so easy! I'm definitely doing one for my upcoming Father's Day Stamp-Camp.

Want to know the hardest part about this card? Tying the paper "thread" I used on the buttons. I used my Paper Cutter to cut real thin strip of Bashful Blue c/s and threaded the button holes with it. I used the Mini-Buttons that SU sent me for free during one of their promotions. Love It! I oh-so, carefully tied it in the back and then Tombowed the ends up to the middle to secure it. A Mini-Glue Dot gave a little extra security and attached the buttons to my shirt-front.

Here's the Challenge Sketch I used for my inspiration-


Love this Sketch! I stuck pretty close to it too, even leaving the orientation the same. The only elements missing are the bow and the small pink layer which it seems like most people are interpreting as a ribbon layer. I just couldn't find a way to incorporate the bow and because my boxes were a little bigger than the sketch I left out the small pink layer. Hope the fine ladies over at Stampin 411 will think it fits. :)

So, if you've been following along with me at all, you probably know about my inability to mix and match DSP. *SMH* I tried with this, I really did! I had the other DSP's in this set out to use but just couldn't do it. So instead I added a lot of texture with my Embossing Folders. It's so funny, because I just now realized that the sketch incorporates the Stripes  and Lattice Folders. I almost used both but at the last minute decided to just stick with the Stripes. I did however use the folder to make a "plaid" background on my Certainly Celery panels that echos the plaid DSP on my shirt. I also used the Stripes Embossing Folder on my Bashful Blue layer at the bottom of my card-front.

I drew my colors directly from my DSP, only leaving out the Riding Hood Red. The base is Marina Mist, paired with Chocolate Chip, Bashful Blue, and Certainly Celery. I sponged the edges of my Whisper White piece with Bashful Blue. I also sponged this color over the stripes to make them stand out a little more. Some Certainly Celery sponged over those panels helped make the embossing "pop". I used Stampin Dimensionals on all of the center panels to elevate them. The Bashful Blue layer is Tombowed directly to the card-front.

Here's the inside-


How sad am I, that I had nothing special to put on the inside of my card? :'( There are some origami ties tutorials out there, I may have to try. If they're not too bulky, perhaps I can add one. I'm sure a guy wouldn't notice or be upset at the lack of a "little something extra" on the inside, but I sure do! I did sponge around the edge of my W.W. c/s for a little added dimension, but I just want more. The sentiment is from Teeny Tiny Wishes. I really don't know how I made it this long without that set and to think I was still reluctant to buy it. Silly Shan!

Well, that's all I have for you today. I hope you liked today's card and I hope it inspires you to try something new. Why don't you swing over to Stampin 411's page and play along too? If you liked today's card I hope you'll leave me a comment. I love hearing from you! Also, if you liked it, please feel free to +1 or Pin it. I've put the buttons on my sidebar for your convenience. Friends and Followers are always welcome too!

Till next time-

Remember- Life is often more about the storms than the peace they seek to overwhelm. It's not about Waiting for the storms to pass, but Learning to Dance in the rain.

Be Safe,
Shan
Pin It

9 comments:

  1. Love your shirt! It's perfect for this sketch. I don't know why you had trouble following my blog. I checked it out and it's just like yours. Try me again. I'm following you too!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome. I dont think the inside is too plain at all. my hubby is always asking about extra embellishments on my cards saying. I think it's too much... :)
    My guy likes simple.. :) What a great card! I'm so happy you decided to play along this week and share your talents with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon -- I love your folded shirt. What a great idea and great way to use this week's sketch. Thanks for playing along at Stamping 411! Blessings, Gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, love the origami shirt!!! That paper pattern is perfect!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cute is this card. Love your origami shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! We both rocked it this week! Sure started my day off with a smile! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Shannon! I bounced over here from my friend's, Diane Caron, blog. Cute shirt! I love the buttons on it. Congratulations on your Stamping 411 Showcase win. Now...I'm off to visit the rest of your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share a little love with me. I hope you find this blog to be as much of a blessing to you as you are to me. :) Be Safe- Shan