Thursday, September 29, 2011

End of the Week Technique #1 Z Fold Technique

Pin It
Hey everyone! I've decided to challenge myself to more than just a card or two a week and the post here that goes with it. I've been looking for and trying different card folds, techniques, and craft designs and guess what... there are soooo many! Or at least there seems like so many now, once I start this I hope I don't find myself saying "What in the world am I going to do next?!?!" So each week, around Thursday or Friday, as time allows, I will pick something new to try and showcase.

So, for week #1 I'm showing a card I did for a swap at last weeks team meeting. I did a very simple Z-fold card that I CASE'd (Copy And Share Everything) from France Martin's site Stamp & Scrap with Frenchie. I've mentioned her before. I think she's Amazing! She usually does videos twice a week and has really cute cards and ideas. If you haven't checked her out yet, you can click HERE, (but not 'till you're done reading my post, silly!) BTW, if you have questions about anything you see on her site, she checks her e-mail and replies back really quick. I e-mailed her one day and got a reply back within hours. Pretty Cool!

Anyways... I am loving the Z-fold card lately because you can make it with different score measurements and get a totally different card. A bonus here- I get to use my Simply Scored Tool. So much easier than trying to use my Paper Cutter! Plus, it's just a little different from your everyday card, and I think that's a nice surprise. Here's my card.
Sorry about the poor lighting, I'm working on that. That's what happens when all you have is your BlackBerry. LOL. The base is River Rock, really such a versatile color. I think it's going in with Crumb Cake as one of my favorite Neutrals.  I then stamped the large leaf image from the Day of Gratitude stamp set, which is one of my favorites, along the top fold and and in the bottom right hand corner with River Rock ink for a subtle tone-on-tone accent.
For the center medallion I used Pool Party and Pear Pizazz, both In-Colors, and Very Vanilla . These are all colors from the New Spice Cake DSP, not what I traditionally think of Fall colors, but I really like the combination. Using my Stampin Write Markers I colored directly onto the stamp with More Mustard, Old Olive and Chocolate Chip, (a technique of it's own, maybe this won't be so hard after all, HA!) and then stamped the flowery image from the Day of Gratitude stamp set, in the center square of Very Vanilla. (I didn't even use my Stamp-a-ma-jig, I free-handed them all! I know right? I can hear the collective Gasps going up from all over)  For a little something unexpected, instead of mounting the squares as squares on a rectangle, I turned them all North-South and placed them on the score line. I then used Dimensionals to raise it up off the card.
To finish it off, I used some of our Vintage Lace Ribbon tied to left of the card. I used about 15 inches I think. You get so much ribbon on our spools. I made 8 of these cards and was wondering if I would have enough to do them all, I still have LOTS! I'm a don't use a lot of ribbon kind of girl, so I usually make Faux Bows, or only mount them to the front, but you have to wrap this one all the way around so it looks pretty when you open the card. You'll see below. I felt it needed just a little something else, so I took my new Dazzling Details, glitter glue, and topped off each of the flowers. You can see it a little in the picture. The bottle has a really narrow tip and you can put that stuff just about anywhere! So much easier than trying to use the 2way glue pen.

When you open your card you see the pretty lace ribbon on the inside and two different areas to write on. I really like how the center piece stands out at this angle. If you wanted to, you could add a piece of Very Vanilla to the right panel as well. Totally up to you, change it up like I did and make it your own.
Some of the items I used for today's card are:


Day of Gratitude $18.95



Dazzling Details $2.50




Simply Scored $29.95


As always, you can purchase everything you need to make your own version of this card, and everything else Stampin' Up has to offer at my online store HERE, and Mr. UPS will happily bring it straight to your door.

Well, I hope you liked my card and the first edition of End of the Week Technique. I hope it inspires you to step out of your comfort zone and try something new or re-try something you haven't used in a while. Let me know what you think, and I would love to see any cards to you make! If you liked it, I would love it if you left me a comment. It's great when I get to hear from you! Also, if you liked today's card, please feel free to +1 or Pin it. I've added the buttons to my side-bar for your convenience. Friends and Followers are also welcome. :)

See you soon.
Be Safe,
Shan
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to share a little love with me. I hope you find this blog to be as much of a blessing to you as you are to me. :) Be Safe- Shan