Monday, September 5, 2011

A Whopper of a Birthday

Pin It

I hope everyone had a safe Holiday weekend and enjoyed their extra day off. I was able to spend some time with friends, get some stamping done, and bake...3 of my favorite things.

For those of you that know me, you know I'm moving to a new work site. Well, the nurse that's replacing me, Karen, had a birthday on Saturday. Like me she's 29, again. :) That of course meant I had an excuse to stamp and bake, two of my favorite things for one occasion. You know what that made me? That's right, A Happy Girl!

So I got out my new Designer Series Paper, Just Add Cake and knew it would be just right. Have you seen this paper? So Cute and versatile too (but that's another post). Well I sat down to work on Karen's card and Duece, my studio helper, sat down to help hold my cardstock for me. Wasn't that sweet? Here's a pic of him helping.


I finally convinced him I could handle the cardstock by myself and got down to business. We did a z-fold card in my upline Robin's Firehouse stamp night last month and I knew I wanted to use that for this card. Thanks for the inspiration again Robin!

I used Poppy Parade, one of Stampin' Up's "In Color's" as my cardstock base. I used my Simply Scored Scoring Tool to score the card. It makes it so easy. It has little placeholders so you can score multiple cards without having to go back and re-measure each time. How handy is that? I took the striped cardstock from the Just Add Cake DSP, and put that on the outside panel. The actual stamp set is an old, retired one but I love it. I stamped the greeting on white cardstock and punched it out with my Decorative Label punch. I then used coordinating paper to make the frame for the label. I also took a tab of Poppy Parade and put it on the right side of the card as a pull tab.



I used a piece of White Cardstock for the inside panel and stamped my image there. When you open the card you see the Happy Birthday Sentiment I stamped there as well. I used Stampin Pastels to color in my image, it comes with a handy dandy eraser just in case you're coloring in tiny lines and stray (ask me how I figured that one out).



Here's a close up of the inside panel. This was actually the second attempt at this card. The first one turned into scratch paper when the black ink pad jumped out of my hand while I was trying to open it and it fell on top of the card. Somehow, though I managed to get what appeared to either be Poppy Parade or Peach Parfait on the lower edge of the card. How that happened, I have no idea, but I decided to make the best of it. So I stamped some flowers in the lower corner with those two colors and Blushing Bride and then topped them with Dazzling Diamonds for a little Bling. I love how a mistake turned into a pretty bonus. I think you can see the glitter in the picture.



Now, onto the baking part. It was a two-fer, Karen's birthday and a special something for the Doctor I work with. He loves Whoppers and when I saw this on one of my favorite blogs last week, I knew I had to make them for him and it lucky for Karen, it coincided with her birthday. :)

If you haven't been to CookiesandCups.com it's a great site. I check it daily. Shelly is amazing! She never fails to make me laugh and her recipies are Unbelievable, right down to the little Marshmallow Snowmen she made. Check her out.

I got all the ingredients and made these and they are sooooo good! I can't wait for my doc and Karen and the rest of the staff to try them tomorrow. Here's a peek.

Yes, those are chopped up Whoppers on top. Mmmmmmm! And guess what? There are more chopped up Whoppers in the brownies! YUM! Well, of course I had to check to make sure they tasted as good as they looked (I made two trays since it was my first time) so I took a little piece.



In case you're wondering, they do taste as good as they look. Now aren't you glad I taste-tested them for all of us? That's the kind of thing I do for my friends...You're Welcome.

I hope you liked my card and decide to try one like this for yourself.  If you liked it, I would love it if you left me a comment. It's great when I get to hear from you! Also, if you liked today's card, please feel free to +1 or Pin it. I've added the buttons to my side-bar for your convenience. Friends and Followers are also welcome. :)

I hope you decide to try the brownies too. They're from scratch but so worth the time, just like making cards. I hope you'll let me know what you thought about both. Take a chance and try something new.

Supplies I used on this card,
2010-2013 In-Color Cardstock 119797 $6.95
Just Add Cake DSP 124339 $10.95
Simply Scored Scoring Tool 122334 $29.95
Basic Black Ink Pad 101179 $ 5.95
Dazzling Diamonds Glitter 102023 $4.50
2-Way Glue Pen 100425 $3.50
Stampin Pastels 120962 $24.95

You can order these supplies and more 24-7 at my online store www.ShansDesignStudio.stampinup.net

Till next time,
Be Safe,
Shan Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to share a little love with me. I hope you find this blog to be as much of a blessing to you as you are to me. :) Be Safe- Shan