Thursday, November 3, 2011

End of the Week Technique #6 - Coordinating Designer Series Paper (DSP)

Pin It
Hey y'all. I started to switch it up and say Good Morning and then I thought "What if it's not morning when you read this?" So I decided to just stick with Hey y'all, lol. What can I say? I'm a Southern girl and a creature of habit.

I hope this day finds you warm and happy. Here in the DMV it's cold but I didn't have to wait too long in the slug line (for those of you unfamiliar with that, it's basically sanctioned hitchhiking. We get in cars with strangers to carpool so we can get then all qualify for the High Occupancy Lanes and bypass all the traffic sitting in the rush hour congestion. Slugging is a phenomenon know only to our area.) and the car I got in was actually warm, and the driver was actually a good driver! (Some times they are horrible drivers) Double Score!!! I was actually so toasty I got a little nap on the way in. So Sweet! On top of that I have a Fall Workshop this weekend and a early-bird for it that's coming over tonight so, it looks to be a good day. Wow, I hope your day is looking as good as mine is.

It's also a great day, because before I started this post I checked my stats and I'm at 299 visits! Thanks to everyone who has taken time out of their busy days to stop by and take a look at my little site. A huge thanks to those of you too that have taken the time to leave comments. You are ALL appreciated more than you can possibly imagine!

I can hardly believe we're on week 6 already of End of the Week Technique (EWT). I have to tell you, I had my doubts, that I was going to be able to keep them coming, but so far, so good.

This weeks technique is Making Your Own Coordinating DSP.
How many times have you been looking for just the right paper for the card you had in mind/ were in the middle of making/ really wanted to make and couldn't find it or didn't want to wait for your order to come in to complete your card?

That happened to me over the summer. I was making a card for my friend's daughter Alexandra, (Great Girl!) who happens to love Chocolate (like I said Great Girl!). She was supposed to be here for the entire summer but had to cut her stay short, so I decided to make her a card before she left. What better set to use than the Just Eat Chocolate set? I LOVE that set! I got it for free last year when I became a demonstrator, and I wish it was available to everyone because I bet it would sell like crazy, but at the same time, I love having something so special.


The card is pretty simple. Chocolate Chip cardstock for the base with a layer of Very Vanilla and then another layer of Chocolate Chip. I then stamped the little bon-bon and the sentiment in Chocolate Chip on Very Vanilla, punched it out with my Designer Label Punch and added just a touch of Dazzling Diamonds to the top of the bon-bon. I then popped this up with dimensionals and placed it on the front of the card. So pretty, so clean and simple, so really Not my style.

And then I was stuck. What was I going to with the inside?

Disclaimer- I was in a bit of a different place stamping wise at the beginning of the summer - ( hard to believe, but true) Now, I would go totally Clean and Simple and simply stamp the sentiment and an image in the corner but I felt the need for DSP then and truthfully, there's nothing wrong with that, and there are plenty of  other cards that I will still use DSP on the inside liner as well.

My inner Pooh Bear came out....Think...Think...Think...Think...Think... (you know you can hear him)

Wish I had some paper to put inside here other than plain ole Very Vanilla (I hadn't been a demonstrator very long and didn't have a large cache of supplies)...(still not huge come to think of it, although steadily growing)...

It's a shame they didn't make any coordinating paper to go with this Super Cute Stamp set...

Wait... I have Paper & this Super Cute Stamp set... and the wheels on the bus go round and round as the little hamsters in my mind started running.... Frantically! Now, of course I had used stamps in the past on the front of cards as a "random accent" (don't get me started on random) or as a background pattern, but why not as a planned pattern?... Could it be done?... Would it work?



Why, Yes, as a matter of fact it could be done and it would work.

Now-For some helpful tips-

1-Please Remember the name of my blog. Thank-You. Remember also that this was a first attempt so don't judge too harshly. It's a jumping off point. A creative launching pad, a diving board so to speak. As always, take it and make it your own. You will definitely see me using this in the future on the front of a card. Just wait, you'll see.
2- Use a Stamp-a-ma-jig! I can not stress this enough. If you are wanting a random pattern, go for it, but if you have a set pattern in mind, buy it and use it. I did not have one when I made this card. I'm surprised by how relatively straight it came out, but it still bugs me that it's not just right. I'm sure it didn't bother Alexandra but still...
3- Patience is the name of the game. See that one chocolate bar above the bon-bons that's darker than the others? I didn't stamp off enough times. I think I was supposed to stamp off 2 times and I only stamped off 1 time. Patience.
4- I think the pattern looks better on the diagonal than straight across for this stamp but play around with your pattern and find out what works best for you.

To finish my card I stamped my sentiment and the cute little bon-bons in the lower corner both in Chocolate Chip. A little Dazzling Diamonds frosted the noms and made them even more delectable than they already were and my pretty little card was ready for my gorgeous girl! Did I mention that I slipped the card in with a couple dozen of my famous mini brownie bites with mini Reece's cups in them. Yep- She loved them both! Gorgeous and Smart to boot. Doubly Dangerous. Her poor Daddy! *SMH*

Well, that's it for this week's edition of End of the Week Technique. I hope it's given you something to try. As always, if you do, I hope you let me know. I would love to see what you come up with. If you liked today's card, I would love it if you left me a comment. It's great when I get to hear from you! Also, if you liked today's card, please feel free to +1 or Pin it. I've added the buttons to my side-bar for your convenience. Friends and Followers are also welcome. :)

If you need supplies to create cards like today's card you can shop in my online store 24/7 HERE.

Remember our FREE Big Shot giveaway has been extended through November 11. Contact me to find out how to receive yours.

Have you done your Holiday Cards yet. I have classes coming up. Also, if you buy supplies to make your Holiday cards from one of the ones I am doing in my Holiday classes I will cut them for you for FREE. That's right. You buy, I cut and prep, all you have to do is assemble. You can even come over to my house if you want and we can have an assembly party hour or two. Contact me to find out more. Click Here to see a Complete list of my upcoming classes.

I hope you have a great weekend with plenty of time for friends and family and of course Stamping!

Be Safe,
Shan Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to share a little love with me. I hope you find this blog to be as much of a blessing to you as you are to me. :) Be Safe- Shan