Thursday, April 12, 2012

A Little Smooch, A Challenge, and A Lot of Love - Monday Makeover Challenge/Personal Challenge #16

Pin It
Hey y'all. Happy Thursday! Hope you all are having a great week. Sorry I missed yesterday, but my daughter's not feeling well and I didn't get home from the hospital until 4:30 am so I slept most of the day. Lol! That's what happens when you're up for 23 hours straight!

Well, for today's card I have a challenge card for you. Now that my buddy Jason's back in Yuma, it's time for me to resume my Personal Challenge cards. For those of you that are new here, I challenged myself at the beginning of the year to do a challenge a week as a way to stretch my creative boundaries. I have to say it's been a lot of fun! I did a few in advance for when he was here, but now it's back to a regular schedule.

This week's card is for Paper-Crafters Library's Monday Makeover Challenge. It's a work from your stash challenge to do your take on a previously done card from their archives.

Here's my challenge card-

Flip-Up card with Summer Smooches DSP and Flowers
When I saw the sketch I knew just what I wanted to do. Love when that happens! Do you just love that DSP? I do! It's only available as a preview this month. After that you'll have to wait until June to get your hands on it. I turned my card on the side from the original card, added the central panel of DSP and added a pull-tab instead of the ribbon. The other change is I made it a flip-card instead of a regular style card.

Here's the challenge inspiration card-



My biggest inspiration for this card is my daughter J. She's going through a rough time right now and I wanted to make something for her that was bright and cheerful and would remind her just how much I love her, unconditionally.

I started with a 5 1/2 x 4 1/4 base piece of Whisper White c/s. When I saw the inspiration piece, the folded ribbons on the edge reminded me of a pull tab and I thought "Why not have the center section lift up to reveal a message hidden underneath?" So that's what I set out to create. This was the first time I've tried something like this and to be honest, I don't think I've seen any others out there like it. I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out but I have to say it works Great!

I used a much smaller piece of DSP than in the inspiration piece and I used it to anchor my focal piece. I used a 3/4" piece of DSP from our Summer Smooches Collection to go across the top. I then took my central piece of DSP from the same and using my Simply Scored Tool I scored it at 3/4", then reinforced that with my bone folder to make the fold crisp. Then I was able to lay it over my anchor piece and it created a flap. I checked it and guess what? It worked!!!! You know what I did then right? Yep- *Happy Dance*

Next came the flowers. Since I didn't plan on putting my sentiment on the center panel, that left more room for flowers. I decided to make 4 and to layer them with all the bright, fun colors in the DSP. I didn't have the die to make the flowers Andrea used so I followed the challenge and worked from my stash. The two smaller flowers are from my BoHo Blossoms Punch, the reminded me of her smaller flower. They were the easiest. I just had to choose the colors I wanted.

For the upper flower I used my Fancy Flower Punch and stamped out 3 different flowers. Then for those of you that know me, I did something very out of the box... I misted the flowers and then crumpled them up. I know shocker right! (Boy the Scaredy Cat in me was working overtime on this card!) I wanted something a little unexpected and for my daughter to see I was trying something that was hard for me, since she's trying something hard right now too. Not nearly the same, but she'll appreciate the symbolism. I rotated the layers so you cold see all the colors and then used Tombow to hold all the layers together. For the bottom flower, I used my Scalloped Circle Punches and instead of crumpling them I used my paper-snips to make individual petals. I used more Tombow to hold the layers together here too (and all the small flowers as well). Instead of brads or jewels for the center I chose to use colored buttons. These are from Stampin Up's Brights collection. J had just been looking at them on Monday night and had told me how much she liked them. I thought they would be the perfect addition to her flowers. :) I adhered them with Mini-Glue Dots and then adhered all the flowers with dimensionals for a little added touch.

Since the ribbons reminded me of a pull tab, that just what I added to the bottom. I used my Rounded Label Punch to create one. Since it's double sided it also eliminated the need to cover up any raw edges on the inside of the card. Score! I then added the sentiment from Teen Tiny Wishes, secured it with more Tombow and the front of my card was done.

Now you know how I like the inside of my cards to have a little something extra besides just the sentiment, since there was no inside, just the space under the flap, that's where it went. I was limited in space, but had just enough room to put the image and sentiment I wanted.

Here's the inside-


I used two stamps from the Sprinkled Expressions set I got for free during Sale-A-Bration. It's not available anymore, so I hope you were able to get your set. It had just the right sentiment. Sometimes we forget to tell those people that are important to us, that we love them just the way they are. I guess we just assume they know how we feel. I added a little bling with my Two-Way Glue Pen and some Dazzling Diamonds and my card was done.

I don't know about you, but I often wonder how many attempts it takes other crafters to get their projects just right and ready to show. I was so excited that this only took one attempt! Especially since it was a new concept for me.

Want to know a secret? I went upstairs, took my pictures and then sat down to write my note to my daughter. I knew it was going to have to be short, so I made it short and sweet and then closed my flap...
I'm sure you can guess what came next. Yep! you could totally see my note at the bottom of the flap. SMH. Back to the drawing board! It was already after 11 at this point, but I went back down to the craft room and set about fixing it. Since my flap was secured to the bottom piece and I wasn't about to re-do the whole card I cut a new base piece to fit just below my DSP piece. I re-stamped the image and the sentiment and secured it over the original base piece and if you didn't know about the boo-boo you probably wouldn't even notice it.

Well, that's my card for today. I hope it inspires you to try something new today, whether it's a new card style like this one or a challenge.

I hope you liked today's card, but I really hope my daughter likes it. I hope you'll take the time today to remind someone you love, just how special they are to you, "just the way they are".

If you liked today's card, please feel free to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you. You can also +1 or Pin it. I've put buttons on my sidebar for your convenience. Friends and followers are also welcome. :)

I hope you'll come back tomorrow for my End of the Week Technique. It's one I haven't tried before.

Till next time-

Remember- Life isn't about Waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to Dance in the rain.

Be Safe,
Shan
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to share a little love with me. I hope you find this blog to be as much of a blessing to you as you are to me. :) Be Safe- Shan