Friday, August 31, 2012

Double Embossed Evergreen Center Step Card (Wow, That's A Mouthfull) / NAC#9

Pin It
Hey y'all. Happy Friday! I hope you're getting ready to enjoy the long Holiday weekend. I plan on kicking back and relaxing as much as possible and hopefully my stooopid arches will continue to heal and I'll be able to run again or at least walk reasonably well. I am going to Jimmy Buffet Saturday night, but other than that my weekends wide open. Wanna come stamp and play!?!

I've been trying to figure out for the last few days what I wanted to do with the sketch over at Nacho Average Challenge's site this week. I've done all of their challenges so I wanted to make sure to get this one done too. It seemed like a pretty C&S sketch, but you know how I am with C&S! HAHAHA!!! Well I kept batting around ideas and had finally decided on the set I thought I wanted to use, I just had to figure out the rest of it.

Well, then inspiration struck! I won't tell you where I was and what I was doing when it struck, but it struck and I was so excited to get to the studio and get started. I got downstairs and discovered it was going to work. Woo-Hoo! *Happy Dance* Then all I had to do was figure out just  how I was going to do it. It's almost never just Clean & Simple or even Easy with me, but then you most likely already knew that. :)

Here's today's card- Sorry for the Ginormous Picture, I had to get it this big so you could see all the details.


Merry Christmas Center Step Card featuring
Evergreen Stamp set 

AUGH!!! I really wish you could see this in person. It's definitely one of those that when you finish it you say, "Wow! I made that!!!" You can't see the Gold Embossed lettering in that picture so here's another view (a little smaller) but this time you can't see the dry embossing. UGH!

Merry Christmas Center Step Card featuring
Evergreen Stamp set 

Here's the sketch I was using from NAC


I was thinking about a card I wanted to make for my baby brothers with the monster set and how I had been thinking of a step card and it hit me that a "center step card" would leave a middle section that was set apart from the sides and it reminded me of the sketch.

Oooohhhh, I was ready to get cracking. Just one problem, I had never made a center-step card. Yep, over a year of blogging, 246 posts and not one center step card. Well off to You-Tube for a little tutorial help. I got the measurements, went to the studio and got started. Luckily, I've learned to practice on old colored cardstock that I won't miss. I got it right on the first try. However, it wasn't going to fit in a regular envelope. Now I don't mind making envelopes, in theory, but I want a card I can mail or that someone else can mail with out any hassles. Time to try again. Now, I've told you guys this before. There's two kinds of math I can do easily. Tip Math and Medic/Nurse Math. I can't even keep my checkbook balanced without the app. *SMH* Let me just reassure you, this was not one either one of those kinds of math. I persevered though and after 2 more attempts had a center step card that would fit in a standard envelope. *Yea!*

Could I just be happy and leave it at that? Of course not! I didn't want to add DSP to the side panels because I really wanted my center panel to be the star. I couldn't however just leave the sides blank. I decided to try and Dry Emboss them. Now I'm sure someone, somewhere has done this before. I'm sure I can't be the first one to do it (although that would be really Super Cool!) but I've never seen it done before. It took me two more sample cards and multiple attempts on the first  three pieces too before I was able to get it right. I even took pictures, but of course I didn't remember to take them until after I had perfected it, but still you'll get the idea.

First off , the measurements for this card so it will fit a standard envelope and the Embossing Folders- I will make a Center Step Card a EWT and take step by step pictures next time.

1- Cut your c/s (I used Night of Navy) - 4 1/4" x 11"
2- Measure in 1" from both long sides and cut from 1" (up from the bottom ) to 6 1/2". This will give you the cuts that will become your center panel.
3- Score your outer scores. On the long sides score (from the outside edge to your cut lines) at 1", 2" and 6 1/2" (I used my Simply Scored for this)
4- Score your inner score. On the long edge score the center  at 5 1/2" from one cut line to the next.
5- The easiest way to fold is this. Lift your center panel up slightly and "Mountain Fold" on your 5 1/2" score line. "Mountain Fold" at both of your 6 1/2" score lines. "Valley Fold" at both 2" score lines and finish off with "Mountain Folds" on both of your 1" lines.

Now your card is folded. Take your first Embossing Folder, I used Petals-a-Plenty and place it so it's under your center panel and sandwiched over your two side pieces. Make your regular "sandwich" and run it through your Big Shot. I had mine with no tabs just the platform. Here's what it will look like-

Disregard the Embossed Center Panel. Like I said I went back and took pictures
 after I knew it had worked, but didn't want to run another piece of c/s through at that point.
You will have beautifully embossed side panels. I guess you could leave it with just the side panels done, but I wanted just a little something more. I know what you're thinking, "Shan trying to do something "More"? No way!?!" Yes-WAY!!!

Take your second Embossing Folder, I used Perfect Polka Dots, and place your center panel inside of it extending it fully across both side panels. Yes, this will flattened the embossing on your side panels a little but trust me when I say it makes for a very nice "subtle" embossed pattern and it also allows for your center panel to really be your focal point. You're going to need to add some shims to the bottom portion of your card. Ok, technically you don't but I found if when I didn't, and the card was "standing open" you could see the embossing was "bolder" in the very bottom of the side panels. It was just enough to bother me. If it doesn't bother you,  no worries, if it does this is how I fixed it.

See my samples. I told you old c/s. One is Pixie Pink and I'm not sure what the other is  Gable Green maybe.
I took the bottom one inch off a previous sample and slid it in from the bottom of the card behind the front bottom panel. I then took the green sample card (I forgot to stop cutting at 1" and cut all the way to the end of the c/s. This is another reason why you practice on old c/s.) and used it as a shim. When the card is "closed you will have 4 layers of c/s. Place this over the top of your bottom 1" section of c/s. As you can see that brings it up to the same height as the Embossing Folder. Build your sandwich as you normally would (for me No tabs, cutting plate under and over c/s and embossing folder) and run it through your Big Shot. This will allow you to emboss your center panel and get that inner lower portion of the side panels pretty close to the appearance on the top. If it's still a little too embossed for your tastes, you can also take your bone folder and carefully burnish just a little.





Look at the pretty Polka Dot Embossing on the center panel and the soft lightly embossed appearance on the side panel.

For my focal point I used my Crumb Cake Classic Ink Pad. I inked up my stamp and stamped off once before stamping the image onto my Naturals White Cardstock. I then inked up the words with my VersaMark pad and using my SAMJ (of course) stamped my second image. Gold Embossing Powder was added and set with my Heat Tool. The N.W. panel was adhered to an Always Artichoke panel with Dimensionals and then this whole panel was adhered to the center panel with more Dimensionals. Here are the Measurements for the center panel. Always Artichoke 3 3/8" x 3 7/8". Naturals White 3 3/4 x 3 1/4.

I had to move the "banner" portion of the sketch down so you could read all the words but otherwise I think I captured the sketch in a fun, unique way. I embossed the greeting Merry Christmas,  from Greeting of the Season, and adhered it in the same manner to the bottom front panel. The measurements for that piece are A.A. 7/8" x 1 3/8 and N.W. 3/4" x 3 1/5". Oh I also sponged the edges of the A.A. and N.W. pieces of c/s. I used Crumb Cake on the N.W. and it almost has a golden hue to it like the heat embossed areas. :)

I didn't even think of putting anything inside to write on. Hope you'll forgive me for that. After two hours of working on this card I honestly thought it was through. I think though that I will probably just add a piece of c/s to the back for a holiday note. I really wish you could see this card in person. It's just Wow!

Well, that's all I have for you today, but I guess since it was packed full with pictures and info, maybe you won't mind that I forgot something. I hope you liked it and I hope it inspires you to try something new, maybe a new card style or a challenge or better yet, do both! There's still time to play along with this challenge. If you have questions or comments about today's card, I  hope you'll take a moment to leave me a message. I love hearing from you, read them all and they really do make my day. Friends and Followers are always welcome too! :)

Thanks so much for taking time out of your busy day to stop by my little corner of the world. You are very appreciated! I hope you have a safe and happy holiday weekend, filled with lots of time for Family, Friends and of course Creativity. Hope to see you back here soon. Till next time-


Remember- Life is often more about the storms than the peace they seek to overwhelm. It's not about Waiting for the storms to pass, but Learning to Dance in the rain.

Be Safe,
Shan
Pin It

5 comments:

  1. WOWSERS!!! Love this, and thanks for showing all the embossing steps!! :-)

    So glad you made it again this week!! I really look forward to seeing what you do with our challenges!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shan, You are sooooo creative, no reason for you to be a scaredy cat! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this card.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful and thank you for the detailed instructions. Thanks again for playing along with the Nachos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, so pretty. I really like that stamp set and the card style. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that stamp, and of course the card. I've done a few centre step cards and love them, they're easy to make, come and see mine on my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share a little love with me. I hope you find this blog to be as much of a blessing to you as you are to me. :) Be Safe- Shan