Friday, March 30, 2012

A Happy Birthday Quilted Pinwheel/ End of the Week Technique #26

Pin It

Hey y'all. Happy Friday. I hope you've had a great week and are looking forward to an amazing weekend. Sorry I missed you yesterday. I was running around all day and by the time I got home and settled down it was late. :(

I have this week's EWT for you though and I'm sure it's going to be one you want to try and will find yourself using to make beautiful cards.

Here's today's card-


I've been wanting to try this for some time now, and last week I got the perfect opportunity. (Or a at least what I thought was the perfect opportunity)

We had our monthly team meeting and the theme for swaps was to use at least 2 current sheets of DSP. This was a great idea since our new catalog comes out in 2 months and most of us still have plenty of DSP to use up. I actually got to use 3 different patterns. I was so excited!

Note the use of the past-tense there. This is a great technique for individual cards. However.... not so much fun when you have 8 to make. LOL! Oh well, you live and you learn. My consolation prize was that everyone really seemed to like their cards.

I used the Big Top Birthday DSP and I think it's just sooo bright and cheery. What do you think? Wouldn't you smile if you relieved this in the mail or on your desk at work?

Here's the inside, because you know I like to have pretty insides too-


I used a strip of the background DSP from the front to tie the theme together. I think the stamp set for the greeting is called Hand-Penned. I used my friend April's stamp set for this because it's one I didn't own and I thought the bold sentiment went with the bold colors and feel of the card.

So this is a pretty easy technique, here's the down and dirty version. I'm going to include a video, that shows you how to do it as well, from the fabulous "Frenchie" France Martin.

1- You're going to need two squares of cardstock in a color that will go with the other colors on your card. For mine I used 2 3x3 squares of Real Red c/s. In the video, the measurements are a little different, but I couldn't find the video when I was trying to figure my card out.

2 - You need 2 different coordinating DSP's. For mine, I used 4 squares each that measured 1 1/4. I used a punch to punch them all out. Much quicker and easier if you have the punch, but of course you could always use your paper cutter.

3 - Next I used 8 pieces of coordinating solid c/s that measured 1 3/8 each. Here again I used a punch, but you could use your paper cutter. Also, this step is optional as you will already have a background from your 2 squares of c/s if you wanted to just use that.

4 - You adhere your 2 pieces of cardstock together so that it makes an 8 pointed star. Then you simply adhere your squares to that base alternating the patterns. Make sure you don't secure the first one down completely, because you're going to have to tuck the edge of the last one under the edge of the first one. If you're confused the video will make it totally easy to do as you follow along with it.

5 - Once you've adhered all of your pieces you'll find you have an open spot in the middle. Find something cute to decorate this void and you're done. I used a cute button, from the Brights pack that I got Free during Sale-A-Bration. You could also use a little punched flower or a brad depending on how big your opening is and what coordinates best with your design.

Here's the video to show you how easy this is. Make sure to check out her other videos as well on her You-Tube channel. She does amazing projects and posts video's twice a week.


Well, that's all I have for you today. I hope you liked today's card/technique and I hope I've inspired you to try something new.

As always, if you liked today's project, please feel free to leave me a comment. It's great when I get to hear from you! Also, if you liked it, please feel free to +1 or Pin it. I've added the buttons to my side-bar for your convenience. Friends and Followers are also welcome. :)

Don't forget Sale-A-Bration is only here for today and tomorrow. You don't want to miss this amazing opportunity and have to wait until next year to participate. You can find out more or place an order to get your free merchandise HERE.

I hope you have a great weekend, filled with plenty of time for family, friends and of course creating beautiful projects. I've got a full weekend planned, but I'll be back next Monday with all new projects for you.

Till next time-

Be Safe,
Shan Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to share a little love with me. I hope you find this blog to be as much of a blessing to you as you are to me. :) Be Safe- Shan