Wednesday, January 25, 2012

End of the Week Technique #17 Floating Spinner - Special Birthday Card

Pin It
Hey y'all. Happy Humpday! I hope you're having a great Wednesday. I have a special card to show you today. It's my sister's birthday card. Shhhh- don't tell her about it- kay? I told her she couldn't visit here today, 'cuz I was gonna post it on here. (:

I know it's only Wednesday, but I figured we'd move our EWT up a day or two and use this for it this week, because let me tell you after all the work I put into this last night, I'm surely not coming up with any other "new techniques" this week. You hear? Good. (:

You ever have one of the concepts where you know just what you want and how it's gonna play out and everything you need and you sit down to make it happen and then 2 hours later look at the mess Catastrophe around you that has still failed to produce said end product and wonder "How the **** did this happen?" Yeah. That was me last night. I was inspired by a combination of a card I saw Sunday and a card I had seen online to do a Z-fold type of a card but have a floating spinner in the fold. Since it's my Sis' birthday I wanted a Spectacular Card! I decided to use cupcakes and I wanted to have a floating, spinning cupcake. Sounded so simple ... in my head. Not! I couldn't have the card situated the way I wanted,  couldn't punch through double cardstock, when you score and fold 2 pieces of punched and scalloped cardstock, multiple times, that are separated, the edges may not line up perfectly anymore. Do you see where I am going? Add to that new score measurements that I obviously didn't measure twice and score once for because I messed up a couple of pieces of paper. It's a good thing I made two of these, one for my sis and one for my techniques book that I am making because I tell you what, otherwise, who knows when I would have made another one.

However, since it's for my sister- I have to say the 4 hours, yes I said 4 hours from start to finish was worth it. At least I think so. Are you ready to see it?


Because of the odd (even for a z-fold shape) shape I had a hard time getting a picture of the front. This makes it look like there's a lot of open space, but it's really only to about the center. (Truth is I stamped the sentiment at almost midnight in the upper left hand corner and I didn't stamp it far enough over and you can see the last 2 letters or so if I took the picture full on frontal and I was too tired to finish the inside of the second card and take more pictures ):  )  I stamped the cupcakes down the right side for two reasons. 1- You know I like the inside to look as pretty as the outside and 2- I wanted there to be some motion there to mirror the motion of the cupcake spinning in the cutout window. I stamped off once before stamping each image except the cherry and then let Tink have her way. Don't they look pretty?

Here's a closer picture of the inside page-



I stamped the cupcakes with Crumb Cake and Blushing Bride, the cherry with Real Red and Garden Green and the sentiment in Chocolate Chip is from the Create a CupCake set.

Here's a picture of the card opened up-


I used a base of Blushing Bride c/s and for the inside panel used a piece of DSP from Beau Chateau that I sponged with Crumb Cake. All of the c/s edges on all surfaces were sponged with Crumb Cake.

Here's a closer picture of the cupcake panel-


As you can see the cupcake is suspended in the middle of a Large Scalloped Circle Punch. To make the punched area I simply marked my halfway point on the card and slid my Large Scalloped Circle Punch in there (at the mid point- you could use any punch you wanted) and went as deep as I could with the punch and punched. I also did this with my DSP, but as a back-up I also laid my DSP under my c/s and traced an outline of where the punch should be to make sure I was in the correct spot. I tried to get my punch points directly on the score lines and they just missed. I think I would have made this a little easier on myself if I had used a large circle punch, unfortunately I didn't have one, maybe I'll try it again when I get one.

Here's a close-up of the cupcake-


I used heat and stick powder and then our new Vanilla Embossing powder and my kitchen smelled sooo yummy! It was like baking custard without the guilt or the calories. However, I think that adding the glitter and setting it takes away some of the smell.

*Tip*- When doing double sided images like this when you are going to "sandwich" something remember you have to do opposite sides. I had initially heat embossed all the frosting on the same side and when I went to sandwich them together they didn't match up, so I had to turn it over and emboss it- does that make sense?

The hardest part of the cupcake was getting Tombow on the "candle and flame" and then lining up the thread in the center of them and then lining it up down the center of the cupcake. I secured it down the rest of the cupcake with dimensionals, and then secured it to my c/s with SNAIL. Clear fishing line or monofilament thread would have been the best for this, but I didn't have any, so I used a very fine flesh colored sewing thread that if you scroll back up to the first picture, you can barely see when the card is in it's regular position, and even open like this is not much of a distraction.

So, what do you think of today's EWT? It's a little harder than most of our previous EWT's. Are you going to give it a try? I would love to see your efforts? I would also love to hear what you think of my efforts. If you liked it, I would love it if you left me a comment. It's great when I get to hear from you! Also, if you liked today's card, please feel free to +1 or Pin it. I've added the buttons to my side-bar for your convenience. Friends and Followers are also welcome. :)

I really hope my sis likes her card!

I hope to see you back here soon. Don't forget Sale-A-Bration is going on. Now is a Great time to host a Workshop or Stampcamp or even place an order and get great FREE and Exclusive Stampin Up merchandise. You can go to my ONLINE STORE for more information.

Till next time-
Remember- it's not about waiting out the storm, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Be Safe,
Shan








Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to share a little love with me. I hope you find this blog to be as much of a blessing to you as you are to me. :) Be Safe- Shan